Friday, August 3, 2012

Without Fault - With Great Joy

Scotty Smith post:  A Prayer for Finishing Well


     To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen. Jude 24-25 
     Heavenly Father, the older I get the more I care about finishing this life well. I wish less temptation came with more years. I wish diminishment of physical strength brought an automatic increase in spiritual strength. But that’s not the way it works. I wish wisdom always came with years, but there are a lot of old fools running around.
     I need Jesus’ mercy and grace today just as much as the first day you placed me safely in Christ. Until the Day you glorify me, I will need all the riches of the gospel. Thus I abandon myself to the promises which overflow in this glorious benediction from Jude. They are a balm to my being and ballast for my journey home.
     I praise you, Father, that the most important grasp in the gospel is yours, not mine. You will keep me from ultimately falling away from you. And when I do falter and fail, you will love and restore me. I am forever guilt-free because of your once-and-for-all sacrifice for me. O, blessed and wonderful cross.
     As hard as it is to imagine, especially in my times of weakness, one day you will present me before your glorious presence without fault and with great joy. How many times do I have to say that for my heart to really believe it? Without fault and with great joy . . . without fault and with great joy . . . without fault and with great joy! I praise you for your everlasting kindness and matchless strength.
     Indeed, may my heart passionately proclaim, with myriads of angels and countless believers: to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power, and authority, in this life and in the life to come!
     Jesus, trusting in the life you lived for me as the second Adam, the life you gave for me as the Lamb of God, and the life you now live through me as my hope of glory, I will finish well—without fault and with great joy . . . without fault and with great joy . . . without fault and with great joy! So very Amen I pray, in your glorious and grace-filled name.

No comments: