Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Not Always Easily Understood

Practical Theology for Women post:  Inscrutable God


Romans 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
I am comforted by Romans 11:33. I'm not necessarily comforted by the idea that God is inscrutable. But I am comforted that He lets us know this about Himself in Scripture. Otherwise, what would I do in those moments where I can't understand Him at all? 
Inscrutable: not readily investigated, interpreted, or understood.   (www.merriam-webster.com)
It would be simpler to me if God were more easily understood. I wish His ways made clearer sense to me. But in the midst of confusion when a new thing pops up in life that doesn't fit what I thought I understood of His plan and purposes for my life (or His own personal character), I am deeply comforted by this acknowledgement and instruction in Scripture concerning Himself. He says, “I am not always easily understood. You won't always find answers when you search. The depth of my wisdom well exceeds yours. You will not always be able to understand.”

Thank You, sweet Lord, for letting me know this in Scripture. Then, when turns in the road of life defy my ability to explain or comprehend, I can rest that such turns are not inconsistent with Your character. You are not always understood. You are not always correctly interpreted. Our attempts to investigate and explain Your workings are not always correct or helpful. Nevertheless, You are God, and I am not. And that is enough. 
Psalms 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God.

No comments: