Monday, February 11, 2013

Continue to Bear Fruit

Henri Nouwen Society:  Dying Well


We will all die one day. That is one of the few things we can be sure of. But will we die well? That is less certain. Dying well means dying for others, making our lives fruitful for those we leave behind. The big question, therefore, is not "What can I still do in the years I have left to live?" but "How can I prepare myself for my death so that my life can continue to bear fruit in the generations that will follow me?"

Jesus died well because through dying he sent his Spirit of Love to his friends, who with that Holy Spirit could live better lives. Can we also send the Spirit of Love to our friends when we leave them? Or are we too worried about what we can still do? Dying can become our greatest gift if we prepare ourselves to die well.


1 comment:

A River Flows Through the Desert said...

Thank you so much for your words on "continue to Bear Fruit". I am doing a study on the word abide and in doing so I did a search on the exact phrase as the title of your post. What I read is exactly what is needed for my study. Thank you in advance. I am happy to share your thoughts at my ladies group.