Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I'd Rather

Ray Ortlund post:  George Beverly Shea, 1909-2013


“Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God.  Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.”  Hebrews 13:7
It doesn’t say, “Imitate their style,” but “Imitate their faith.”  George Beverly Shea was a man of profound faith in Christ.  He put the Lord first.  That was a personally costly thing for him to do.  But he did it, by faith.  And he moved thousands, even millions, of others to put the Lord first, by their own faith.  His singing at the Billy Graham crusades moved people to tears, showing them Jesus in his grace and glory.
One of the sins of our generation is treating both preaching and music as a “gig,” as a platform for self-display, as a way of getting ahead.  Do we want those who follow us to imitate that?  Where would that take us, in another two or three generations?
As I watch Mr. Shea singing in this video, it seems to me that this is what it means to sing in the Holy Spirit.  He is utterly sincere, wholehearted, all-out for the glory of Christ alone.  I find this very moving.
Where are the men and women today who will remember selfless leaders like George Beverly Shea, who spoke (or sang) to us the priceless word of God?  Where are the men and women who will consider the outcome of this older, humbler way of Christian life and service?  Where are the new leaders now who will, in their own style, imitate this powerful faith that puts Jesus first, whatever the cost?
I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold
I’d rather be His than have riches untold
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand
I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame
I’d rather be true to His holy name
Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin’s dread sway
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today
A faith worth imitating!

No comments: