Sunday, April 6, 2014

Adopted, Beloved, Sealed, Indwelt

Scotty Smith:  A Prayer for Relishing the Awesomeness of the Gospel

     Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God’s grace, which was given me by the working of his power. To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ. Eph. 3:7-8
     Dear heavenly Father, as I meditate on this passage this beautiful spring morning, it occurs to me that I enjoy Paul’s experience of the gospel, almost as much as I enjoy Paul’s gospel. Oh to be as smitten and undone, humbled and gladdened, alive and transformed by the awesomeness of the gospel as Paul was.
Father, continue to open the eyes of my heart to the boundless wonders of the gospel; tune the inner ears of my soul to hear the rapturous music of grace; ignite all my senses, for knowing and savoring more of the unsearchable riches of Christ; and provide the strength I need for mining those riches.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, that as this day begins (and continues), I am fully and eternally accepted in Christ—all my sins are forgiven and you’ve already declared me to be righteous in Christ. I’m adopted and beloved as your child; sealed by and indwelt with the Holy Spirit; possessing citizenship in heaven, and the new heaven and new earth as an inheritance.
Nothing can separate me from your love, and it is your love separates me from my love of sin. I cannot be more legally free in your court of heaven, though I long to be more actually free in every arena of life. Indeed, Father, free me to be free like Paul was free.
Free me to care a gazillion times more about the glory and worship of God, than the approval and praise of man. Free me to love and do your will, now that I’m no longer under the demands and weight of law. Free me to wash more feet and judge hearts less. Free me laugh more and stress less.
Father, free me to forgive and repent quicker, and to hoard and self-protect less. Free me to count my life as worth nothing to me, that I might finish my days relishing, sharing, defending, enjoying, living and serving the gospel of your grace. So very Amen I pray, in Jesus’ holy and loving name.

No comments: