Tuesday, April 24, 2012

That Brief Span

Scotty Smith:  A Prayer for Wise Choices in This Brief Life


     O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am! Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you. Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Surely a man goes about as a shadow! Surely for nothing they are in turmoil; man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather! And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you. Ps. 39:4-7
     Sovereign Father, though I have no desire to know the exact day or means by which you will take me home, I’m more committed to live with that day in view. Because the gospel is true, I no longer have a fear of death. As your son, I know that be absent from my body will mean that I am immediately present with you. The sting of my death has been removed. The grave has been robbed of its victory over me and my body. I can honestly say with Paul that “it’s better by far to depart and be with the Lord” (Phil. 1:23). What great peace and assurance…
     But until that departure, how do you want me to invest the rest of my days? I’ve spent enough years bustling about in vanity, heaping up stuff that will only end up on the ash heap one day. Should you give me one more, ten more, twenty-five more years, how can I best steward that brief span to your glory? In light of the gospel of your kingdom and the riches of your grace, establish my priorities, Father.
    What do I need to make a bigger deal about, and what doesn’t deserve one more sleepless night or second thought? What things do I simply need to let go of? Who should I be spending more time with, and quite honestly, less time with? What broken relationships do I need to keep on my radar screen, with the hope of reconciliation?
     According to your Word, the two things which frame history are your commitment to redeem your pan-national family and your commitment to make all things new through Jesus. How do you want me to engage with both of those stories, with my friends and church?
     Indeed, give me greater love for people who don’t know Jesus, Father. I spend way too much time just with other Christians. And help me live more intentionally as an agent of redemption and restoration in my community and neighborhood.
     I’m not asking for an angel to visit me or some supernatural sign giving me a detailed plan for the rest of my life. It’s enough to know that you are the God who opens doors I cannot close and the One who closes doors I cannot open. I will keep my heart and feet in gear, and trust you to lead me, Father. So very Amen I pray, in Jesus’ magnificent and merciful name.

No comments: