Thursday, December 22, 2011

Great Thing God Has Done

Mark Batterson post:  What Hath God Wrought


On May 24, 1844, Samuel Morse, the inventor of morse code, sent the first message via the Baltimore-Washington telegraph line.  He quoted Numbers 23:23: “What hath God wrought.”
That’s how I feel today as I start to hear stories of the Jerichos that people are circling in prayer.  It’s hard to put into words, but I feel complete responsibility and zero responsibility as an author. Let me explain. I feel complete responsibility because I know that this book will inspire people to pray bigger and bolder prayers.  And just like those who read In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Daythose who read The Circle Maker will be challenged to take a step of faith.  I’m just praying that they step out in faith not because of anything I wrote but because of what the Holy Spirit whispers to them as they read.
Let me put this in Biblical context.  If you are going to get out of a boat in the middle of the Sea of Galilee you better make sure Jesus said, “Come.”  And if Jesus says, “Come,” you better not stay in the boat.
I don’t think this book was meant to be read. It was meant to be prayed.  So I’m thrilled at the way the book is inspiring people to pray. That is the litmus test with a book on prayer. If all you do is read it I’ve failed. If you have to stop reading so you can start praying, then I’ve succeeded.
The key to effectual prayer is praying in the will of God and for the glory of God.  If your prayers fit that two-fold test you cannot fail.  And then your prayers become God’s responsibility.  That’s the beautiful thing about prayer: it takes all the pressure off of us!  When you pray, responsibilities are transferred from your human hands into the hands of Almighty God.

No comments: