Friday, December 30, 2011

One God Idea

Mark Batterson post:  One Idea


I have a mantra that I’ve repeated for years: I’d rather have one God idea than a thousand good ideas.  Good ideas are good, but God ideas…well, God ideas change the course of history.  And all it takes is one God idea.
Honestly, that’s how I felt about The Circle Maker.  On one level, you never know what will resonate with readers.  But my gut instinct was that this book would be like spiritual adrenaline to people’s prayer lives.  And it has sold more copies in two weeks than Soulprint sold last year.  Of course, that is both wonderful and terrible at the same time!  All I’m saying is: you never know.  Once you publish a book, it’s out of your control.  And that is both terrible and wonderful. But while it is out of my hands, I believe it’s in the hands of Almighty God because it was His idea in the first place!  It was a God idea.
I remember reading once about the inventor of Silly Bandz who said, “I always believed I’d have that one big hit.”  For twenty years he tried his hand at a variety of endeavors, but none of them ever took off.  But he kept on believing.  Then he got an idea at a trade show in China and created Silly Bandz.  At its peak, Silly Bandz were selling more than a million packs a week.  That parlayed into a small fortune for the creator, Robert Cook.  Cook said, “Everyone wants to take people like me and say, ‘That guy got lucky.’ In reality, it took 20 years to get where I am today.”
That reminds me of something Sam Walton, creator of the Walmart Empire, once said: “It took twenty years to become an overnight success.”
My point?  All it takes is one God idea.  And if you work like it depends on you and pray like depends on God…well, you never know.
Keep circling Jericho!

No comments: