Monday, December 19, 2011

Purge and Prune

Mark Batterson post:  Curse the Barren Fig Tree


One of the most intriguing miracles in the New Testament is Jesus cursing the barren fig tree.  The other miracles give life.  This one takes it away.  Why?  Because the fig tree isn’t producing any fruit. It’s wasting space.
Are there any barren fig trees in your life?
As I look toward the new year, I always try to identify barren fig trees in my life.  Where am I wasting time?  Are there any habits that are counterproductive?  What needs to go on my stop doing list?
It takes courage to curse the barren fig tree. It’s so much easier to keep on doing what you’re doing. But if you want God to do something new, you can’t keep doing the same old thing. You need to purge and prune.  That allows new growth.
Curse the barren fig trees!

No comments: