Monday, January 2, 2012

Darkness to Light

Christine Wyrtzen post:  A REVIEW OF PAUL'S CALLING


Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to an apostle... Romans 1:1
             
             Tomorrow, I embark on the last half of Romans.  Before I do, I felt it was important for me to re-discover Paul's purpose for writing the book.  It gives me solid footing before planting my feet in the new soil of chapter 10.  So, join me in this quick review.  Only for today.   
              Paul, a servant of the One who became a suffering servant to us, was called by Him to be an apostle.  An apostle is someone who is sent out with a message.  At his conversion, Paul was given an assignment that would define the rest of his life.  He probably thought, before his conversion, that his duty was to protect the sanctity of the Jewish faith from Christian heresy.  As it turned out, he was to encounter Christ and become what he had once hated. 
            How was Paul's calling defined straight out of the mouth of Jesus?  And, is it similar to ours?  The mandate out of heaven was a clear and beautiful one.  Here it is as Paul recounted it.  "Rise and stand on your feet, for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you as a servant and witness to the things in which you have seen me and to those in which I will appear to you.  I am sending you to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God."  (Acts 26:16-18)
                Our understanding of the 'call' can get so muddied when we mix it in with the realm of spiritual gifts.  "I am called to teach, or encourage, or give to others, or show hospitality, or exhort."  But each gift is just a vehicle to the main event; 'opening their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from Satan to God.'  That begs me to examine whether my understanding of my mission is clear enough.  What do I say when I encourage?  What do I teach when I open the scriptures?  Do I pick and choose inspirational topics and a smattering of scriptures that will make someone feel good or do I speak a Word that fashions the sharp arrow of conviction?  The answer to that question is whether or not my audience, large and small, personal and impersonal, is motivated to make a choice between darkness and Light.
            Ah yes, Paul grasped it.  Perhaps he had an advantage because he saw the light, fell to his knees, and heard the voice of his Lord.  But that excuse won't grant me or anyone else living today any pardons.  God speaks even more powerfully to us now through the Spirit of the One who spoke to Paul because that Voice is not without, it is within.  He speaks each time I open His Word.  If my perception of what I was born to do is diluted and fuzzy, I cry out today with a full voice and an intensity of my heart ~

Let me hear your call again, Lord.  Come calling on my heart with power and conviction in this next phase of our journey.  Amen

No comments: