Thursday, January 19, 2012

Our Powerlessness

Christine Wyrtzen post:  CALLING OUT



For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. 
Romans 10:13
         So how can there be any confusion about the way of salvation?  Calling on the Lord, plus nothing, brings salvation.  Paul doesn’t tell me to do ten things and then come and call on the Lord.  I bring nothing but my plea.
         How can any person living on this broken earth not believe that there is a need for salvation?  Evil is everywhere.  It is so obvious that something is wrong, even as we look within ourselves and see our anger, entitlement, and self-righteousness.  Self-help books abound and they abound because no self-help strategy has ever worked to eradicate evil and bring lasting righteousness.  The Savior owns that.  The Savior must transform.
         It has, historically, been hard for me to ask for help, to call upon anyone for something I need.  The reasons for that are way too numerous to talk about here but if there was only one ‘cry’ in me, one call for help, it must be this one.  There is no way for me to be saved using my own ingenuity and pure grit.  When all is said and done, my eternal destiny depends on whether risk believing Jesus, open my mouth and call on Christ.
         There are some today who believe the invitation is not for them.  How tragic to know that I am lost, that a Savior is the only answer, but then fear that I am exempt.  The word ‘everyone’ must be announced from every preacher and platform.  No one is too bad, or too good, or too lost, or over qualified.  We all appear before Jesus the same way; empty handed, sinful, and helpless.  It takes humility to cry out, “Save me.”  Perhaps that is the stumbling block.  Powerlessness is perceived as our enemy when, instead, it’s the pride that deceives us from accepting our powerlessness that will take us to a God-less eternity.  “Help me, Savior!” changes everything.
I would have surely believed your invitation was not for me.  Oh, thank you for opening it to everyone.  Amen

No comments: