Friday, January 27, 2012

Spirit of Christ

Scotty Smith:  A Prayer of Praise for the Many Ministries of the Holy Spirit



     For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. Rom. 8:5-9
Heavenly Father, this portion of your Word lands on my heart today like refreshing dew from heaven, like living water in a dry desert, like a fountain of grace for manifold weakness. It’s a gift to know our need. It’s a greater gift to realize everything you do for us through the ministries of the Holy Spirit.
Just as assuredly as Jesus stood outside of Lazarus’s tomb and said, “Come forth,” so you sent the Holy Spirit to preach the gospel to my heart and I came out of the tomb of my sin and death, raised to newness of life in Jesus. How I praise you for your sovereign goodness and power. Unless you had breathed new life into my dead spirit, I would’ve never, could’ve never believed the gospel.
Indeed, you baptized me with the Holy Spirit, making me a member of your family and Christ’s bride. You sealed me for eternity by the Spirit, marking me as your very own possession. Your Spirit is the firstfruits and guarantee of the full inheritance of the salvation that Jesus earned for us.
Now the Spirit lives as a permanent resident in my heart—to constantly preach the gospel to my heart, convict me of my sin, make me like Jesus, and tell me over and over again that I’m your beloved child. What a generous and loving God you are, Abba, Father!
Though it doesn’t always seem this way to me, according to your Word, I’m controlled by the Holy Spirit, for the dominion of sin in my life has been broken. And you’ve given me every Spirit gift I need to live as a functioning member of the Body of Christ, and a caring servant in your kingdom. Forgive me for whining about what I don’t have. You’ve enriched me beyond my wildest dreams through the work of the Spirit.
Blessed Father, make my theology my doxology—my confession my possession.  I don’t just want to “right” about the Holy Spirit; I want to be filled with the Spirit, keep in step with the Spirit, know the joy of the Spirit, bear the fruit of the Spirit, experience more of the power of the Spirit!  Right now, by faith, I set my mind on what the Spirit desires. Bring much glory to yourself and freedom to my soul. So very Amen I pray, in Jesus’ beautiful and bountiful name.

No comments: