Thursday, February 2, 2012

Cannot Delegate

Mark Batterson post:  A New Normal


Please hear me pastors and leaders.
Your job as a leader is to delegate everything you possibly can, but there is one thing you cannot delegate. Please, don’t delegate prayer.  In fact, delegate everything else so you can pray!  Isn’t that the pattern established in Acts 6:4.
It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables.  Brothers and sisters, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom.  We will turn this responsibly over to them and will give our attention to prayer.
Let me make a confession.  For fifteen years, I feel like I’ve failed in leading our church in corporate prayer.  I was guilty of gross negligence. But it’s a new daya new normal at NCC. This 21-Day prayer challenge has been the greatest three week period in NCC history. Something broke in me, in us during this 21-Day prayer challenge.  Honestly, I think the key was fasting.  I’m never been more empty, more full. I’ve never been weaker, stronger.   I’ve never been more broken, more whole. I can’t even describe it.
Yes, some miracles happened during this 21-Day Prayer Challenge.  A church gave us their church building worth well north of $1 million dollars to NCC.  Ridiculous!  A staff member had a dream that a large check would be written to NCC and that dream was fulfilled right down the penny within 24 hours. Unbelievable!  But the thing that gets me the most excited?  We’ve never praised God like we did last night.  The intensity was off the chart.  There is a raw hungry for God coupled with disciplined desire.  We “gained a position” during these 21 days and we’re not turning back.  It’s our new normal.
I’m so glad Lent follows so quickly.  I’m praying that God gives us marching orders so we know how to leverage the forty days leading up to Easter. I already have a holy hunch.  I’m circling II Chronicles 7:14.  All I can think about is 7:14.
I’m also circling I Corinthians 3:6.  We have planted and watered with our prayers.  God is going to hold up His end of the bargain and “give the increase.”  This is God’s time. We’re going to see a harvest way beyond anything that can be manufactured with the emphasis on the “man” in man-u-factured.
Buckle your seat beltsKeep your arms inside the ride at all times! And hang on for dear life because this prayer roller coaster is headed toward the loop de loop.

No comments: