Monday, February 13, 2012

Raw Dependency

Mark Batterson post:  Who is equal to such a task?



II Corinthians 2:16 is one of my common refrains these days.  I’ll be honest, leading National Community Church isn’t getting easier. It’s getting harder. But that’s a good thing!   Honestly, I feel less and less equal to the task God has called me to.  And I wasn’t even qualified to start with.  I had one summer internship and one failed church plant on my resume before National Community Church.  I’ve always felt like I’m in over my head.  But that’s when God has you right where He wants you.  Why?  Because it forces you to live in raw dependency upon God and raw dependency is the raw material out of which God does His greatest miracles. If you feel like you are equal to the task then your task isn’t big enough!
Lately, I feel my workload is the equivalent of two feet of snow and I have to dig out by shoveling it the old fashioned way.  And then it’s two feet of snow the next day and I’ve got to do it all over again.  The only thing that is sustaining me is prayer.  I feel like I’m learning this lesson: the more I have to do, the more I have to pray. It’s as simple as that.
The truth is this: none of us is equal to the task.  Even the person who penned these words wasn’t.  Paul was in over his head all the time!  But those situations don’t allow us to rely on ourselves.  And that’s the point.  Paul hits the nail on the head in II Corinthians 1:9: “This happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God.”
Relying on the Lord more than ever!

No comments: