Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Down One of Two Roads

Mark Batterson post:  Territorialism


I think territorialism is one of the greatest deterrents to revival.  Here’s my definition: territorialism is caring more about your kingdom than God’s kingdom.  Plain and simple.  It’s selfish spirituality.  It’s caring more about your reputation than God’s reputation. Too many pastors fall into the comparison trap, but that always leads down one of two roads: the road to pride or the road to jealousy.
A few years ago, the Lord convicted me that it was easier for me to pray for a church that wasfour states away than a church that was four blocks away.  I repented.  Then I startedbuilding relationships with pastors in the DC area.  If we’re going to experience revival we’ve got to have relationship!
I’m praying for revival in our nation’s capital, but I don’t care if it starts with us or some other church. Why? Because there is only one Church with a capital C. I just want in on whatever God does.
One of the things we’re doing during Lent to build relationship with local churches is inviting some pastor friends to come and lead our staff devotions.  We want to hear their story, hear their heart for our city.  So excited to host Dennis and Donna Pisani from Capital City Church this week.  Lora and I count it a privilege to call them friends. So grateful we get to pastor in the same city!

No comments: